Understanding Missional Business
Missional Business is…
- Profitable and sustainable business,
- intentional about Kingdom of God purpose and impact on people and nations,
- focused on holistic transformation and the multiple bottom lines of:
- spiritual outcomes
- and concerned about the world’s poorest and least evangelized peoples.
–Adapted from the
BAM Global Think Tank
From brokenness to reconciliation and transformation
The Bible says that God intends for every area of humanity’s brokenness to be healed. This happens through the ministry of reconcilitation in Jesus Christ:
For God in all his fullness was pleased to live in Christ, and through him God reconciled everything to himself. He made peace with everything in heaven and on earth by means of Christ’s blood on the cross.
And God has given us this task of reconciling people to him. For God was in Christ, reconciling the world to himself, no longer counting people’s sins against them. And he gave us this wonderful message of reconciliation.
–2 Corinthians 5:18b–19
Missional Business addresses all four areas of brokenness through the ministry of reconciliation:
- Humanity’s access to God’s abundance is broken, resulting in poverty.
- Missional Business pursues economic viability, resulting in prosperity.
- The cooperation of creation is broken, resulting in decay.
- Missional Business pursues environmental responsibility, resulting in development.
- Humanity’s relationship with God is broken, resulting in alienation from God.
- Missional Business pursues spiritual transformation, resulting in reconciliation to God.